The policy also applies to same-sex couples. If this is not provided, the employer must pay a bonus of INR 3,500 (about $50) to fund the employee’s medical care. Fathers can take 3-5 days in paternity pay (for which they are paid in full for the first three days and the last two are unpaid) followed by one year of parental leave paid at 80% for the first three months, and then 50%. For example, progressive employers may offer paid family leave as a benefit of contract employment. Workers who are covered by the Unemployment Insurance Fund receive a top-up benefit directly from the fund, paid at a rate between 38% and 60% of pay, capped at a maximum of ZAR 5,651 per month and payable for 121 days.

The most generous countries for paid leave for fathers are Japan, South Korea and Portugal, according to the Unicef report. The bureau then pays the higher of these two amounts, capped to no more than three times the average salary within the geographical area the bureau has responsibility for.
Like mothers, fathers in America are not covered by any national paid leave policy. Your employer summons you to the office, reminds you that the company operates a “marriage bar” prohibiting the employment of married ladies, and says therefore your services are no longer required.

Leave is paid at 80% of earnings. All parents are also able to take up to 480 days of parental leave between them – 90 days of which is reserved for each of them. America is the only developed country in the world that doesn't mandate some form of paid maternity leave. Many countries extend parental leave benefits to parents who are adopting children, which tend to mirror maternity leave allowances but with subtle differences. Consequently, there are significant differences between the entitlements of different countries within the EU. Many countries deem the period of “maternity leave” to be a relatively short period of time immediately before and after the birth of a child — which is often followed by a much longer period of family leave. It shows how many weeks of paid maternity leave mothers get in different countries. India passed an updated Maternity Benefit Act in 2017, which entitles a employees to 26 weeks of paid maternity for their first two births. Leave is paid at either 55% of average insured earnings (with a cap) for 35 weeks, or at 33% for 61 weeks. Last modified on Wed 29 Jan 2020 02.02 EST.

Available for everyone, funded by readers.

Paid at 100% of salary, fathers are not allowed to give the weeks they don’t use to their partners. Dad is often (but not always) entitled to a form of paternity leave. A simple analysis of the table above might lead you to conclude that the UK has significantly better maternity leave provisions than its neighbours, but the full picture is more nuanced. In addition to paid leave, the employer is also expected to provide free medical care (both pre- and postnatal) to the employee. In the UK, the employer claims reimbursement of 92% of the Statutory Maternity Pay (thus bearing the remaining 8% cost) by netting the recovery against the gross National Insurance Contributions collected from all employees’ pay. However, with about 60% of men working outside the formal economy, the majority do not qualify.

Paternity leave is only accessible to employees (not, for example, people who are self-employed or contractors) and is paid at a rate of either £149 (about $195) a week or 90% of the employee’s average weekly pay, whichever is lowest, for a maximum of two weeks.